Skip to main content

Sequence Analysis

LE PETITE PRINCE - THE LITTLE PRINCE


As you can tell from the title, I decided to do my blog based on "The Little Prince". It is one of my favorite stories, animated films and overall one of my favorite films. 

The scene that I picked is towards the beginning of the movie. 

I picked this scene because of the multiple cuts and the smoothness of each cut. The editor uses a lot of matched action cuts which allows us to move along with the subjects in a seamless fashion. All of the cuts made sense and made it a lot easier for me the viewer to feel as if I'm experiencing the same thing as well. The movie is from the perspective of a young kid, so a lot of the shots are from the child's perspective.

The editor made use of the 180 rule to really emphasize the child's point of view. Through these shots, I really got a sense of the surroundings and was able to immerse myself deeply into the story. This cut was also used to assert the dominance of one subject over the other.

The cuts were very swift and the one that wasn't was tracking shots. I think the editor made this choice to just show how fast everything was moving in the scene and to also invoke more feelings in the viewer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unstuck Film Screening

Unstuck Film Screening Disclaimer:  These are my thoughts about the two films that were screened that night. I'm aware that this is late and long overdue. However, I thought I would put my two cents out there anyway. Also, these are my thoughts right after the filming that I had written down in my notebook.  Film 1: I enjoyed the film even though the experience of the film itself was uncomfortable. I think the uneasiness of the repetition in the film made me very uncomfortable. Also, I kind of started to get anxious while watching it. The protagonist does this routine which to me felt like a never-ending cycle. At one point in the movie, I started to widely shake my legs and wanted to yell out, "leave already". There was a part in the film where you can hear the inner voice of the subject and another voice as the subject is doing the repetition. All of that got me very anxious like I wanted to curl up into a ball with noise-canceling headphones on. That piece...